Thursday, September 16, 2010

The First Week of School

It has been a mad house over here! Elaina is teething and trying to give up her naps and Zachary has been going to school this week. It's like we are constantly on the move, and I can't say that I hate it.

We thought that Zachary had broken his finger on Tuesday night. He was out playing with his trains in the dirt when I heard him scream. He had tried to pick up a piece of flagstone that we have as ornamental stairs going down to the back yard and accidentally dropped it on his finger. It swelled up and turned purple, so off to urgent care we went. Luckily it wasn't broken and they sent us home. While we were there the nurse gave him a coloring book that had pictures of food it in. By this time he was feeling much better and told me, "Look, Mommy! Look at this picture of scrumptious lunch!" Scrumptious? Where does he hear these things?

He has really been enjoying going to school, but when I pick him up he is an absolute monster. Everyone keeps telling me it only gets worse. I guess when you have to be on your best behavior for three hours, it's time to let loose on your mom when you get home. It's hard to get any information out of him about school. He did tell us that the boy in the green shirt is very naughty because he turned on the phone, and that the boy in the bug shirt wouldn't share. It's been two days of school and that's all we know.

Yesterday I did my shopping while Elaina was at daycare and Zachary was in class. I did my normal ritual, starting at Aldi and then going to Meijer. (Mums are only 2.99 at Aldi right now!) I love going to Aldi because their checkers move at warp speed. Even if there are 10 people in line it doesn't take me more than a few minutes to finish with my order. Meijer was a different story. I swear, this woman was moving at the speed of nail growth. I have never been in a checkout line for 45 minutes until yesterday. This resulted in me being five minutes late to pick up Zachary and I was none too happy about that.

Last night my mom was here because she is working in Grand Rapids. After dinner she had her first encounter with the Backyardigans. Lucky her. It was the one where they are pretending to be vikings, but Zachary informed her that she could not be a viking because "Mimi, you do not have a biking hat." (Or a viking hat, for that matter.)

Well, that's all for today. Yay for the end of the week. Love to all.

No comments: